Firefighters in Wayne Township, Indianapolis were woken up last week by frantic ringing at their doorbell at 2am to help out during a... unique emergency. It turns out a local woman had rushed her pet raccoon to the firemen because she was concerned for his health, because he'd 'consumed too much weed'. Yep, her raccoon was too high. Wayne Township Fire Capt. Mike Pruitt said "As many times as the doorbell on the firehouse was pushed, the firefighters were quite certain that something bad was going on outside. They could tell that the raccoon was lethargic and met all of those symptoms that we typically run into when someone's been exposed to marijuana. It really left the guys scratching their heads that someone brought a raccoon to the firehouse at 2 a.m. seeking help, and especially with the condition the animal was in, so we hope that the raccoon made a full recovery."
Story of the day! Our FF’s at Station 82 were awakened at 2 am last week to a person seeking treatment for her pet Raccoon. What was his illness you ask? The raccoon had smoked too much weed. Yes! It happened! As much as we love animals, there wasn’t much they could do. pic.twitter.com/lypHvrBZSJ— Wayne Twp Fire Dept (@Waynetwpfire) April 16, 2018
Pruitt said the firefighters felt bad for the woman, because they're all animal lovers at the fire station, but there wasn't much they could do except let time take its course. There's been no updates from the woman or her raccoon after they were turned away, but the firemen are hoping the raccoon came down from his high and is doing okay. Did the little guy eat the marijuana? Straight out of the baggie? Or did he find some joints and light them up after having learnt from his owners? Emergency dispatchers received what must have been one of their craziest phonecalls about the little guy.
"Apparently they have a pet raccoon that got into their meth. Fire did call across the hall and say it was a raccoon that overdosed on somebody's heroin."
Officer one: "I'm sitting at one of the firehouses. No pet raccoons are overdosing here."
Officer two: "Well if they show up, you Narcan him."
Officer one: "Way too weird. I'm leaving."
Officer two: "10-4".
Narcan is a drug administered to opioid overdose victims. "10-4" is radio slang for message received.
It really is a beautiful world