Greenlee Marie, a ten-year-old girl from Texas, had a passion for animals that led to her caring for a litter of orphaned kittens that had found a home behind the dryer at her family’s residence. In a heartbreaking turn, however, Greenlee suffered an electrocution while trying to climb behind the dryer and rescue the kittens. She died as a result of the experience.
Now, a GoFundMe page has been set up in her name, hoping to raise money and donate it to local animal shelters and charities so that Greenlee’s dream of caring for animals can live on after her passing.
She died “trying to rescue two kittens from behind her family’s dryer when she was tragically taken from this world,” the GoFundMe reads. “At just 10 years of age, she had such a compassionate heart, not just for people but for orphaned and injured animals as well.”
“At the wishes of her beloved parents, fundraising in Greenlee’s memory are being made available to all who knew her and loved her in our community,” it continues.
“Her whole life she had enjoyed helping those less fortunate than herself, and had always planned when she was older to become a veterinarian and to help rescue more animals.
“So in honor of Greenlee we are asking that any donations be made, in lieu of flowers, cards, etc, her family would like to be able to collect funds to continue Greenlee’s passion of helping animals in our community. Please help us in honoring her memory by being her voice for the voiceless.”
Meanwhile Greenlee’s mother posted a tribute to her daughter reading:
“With the heaviest of hearts I want to tell y’all our Greenlee was tragically taken from us Sat night.
"Greenlee’s Furbabies" fundraising for #cats #kittens in memory of Greenlee Marie #Texas girl Greenlee Marie died while rescuing #kittens 💔— 🗽NYC Samson🇺🇸 (@MeowMiya88) July 11, 2018
She wanted to be a veterinarian to help and rescue #animals 😿 https://t.co/3W4MsL6lLK
“She was such a light in this world and everyone she ever met couldn’t help but fall in love with her.
"She had more compassion for everything living at 10 years old than most will have in a lifetime,” she continued. “Please pray for us as we try to find sence [sic] in the senseless.”
The local fire department is now currently investigating the wiring in the home, but so far the GoFundMe page has raised $7000. Hopefully the money will go a long way towards helping animals in the name of Greenlee.