Rattlesnakes are very poisonous things. They look very angry, with their horned eyes, and they went out of their way to evolve a rattle just so they could tell you to “f*ck off” when you get up in their grill. That’s a courtesy as far as snakes are concerned, by the way. They’ve done you a favour by warning you and giving you enough time to get away or else they will murder you with their venom. Despite this every year the Arizona still sees thousands of snake bites each year, some of which become fatal. Why?
Well a lot of the time people are just unlucky. They don’t see the snake, they don’t hear it, or they’re not familiar with the risk and just stumble into them.
Other times people are careless. They put their hands in long grass, under rocks, or in other places snakes like to sleep.
Sometimes, now and again, people get bitten because they are absolute morons. Like Victor Pratt, 48, who was celebrating his child’s birthday with friends when he decided to show off by catching a live rattlesnake. He posed with it, and took pictures, before trying to show everyone how to cook some delicious rattlesnake meat. This involved trying to barbecue a live rattlesnake.
The rattlesnake bit him in the face.
Victor was promptly rushed to the hospital where he was treated for his injuries and has survived. He should count himself pretty lucky. If snake bites aren’t treated ASAP then they can easily become fatal. Or as the doctor who treated him put it,
“If an airway is not established in the first few minutes, in our experience less than 15 to 30 minutes, then those patients really don't have a chance to survive.”
So Victor should count himself lucky. Personally, we’d like to think he’s learnt a simple lesson. Don’t cook animals alive. It’s a d*ck move. It’s needlessly cruel and in the case of an animal like a rattlesnake—a creature that can easily kill you—it’s particularly stupid.