Devon is an actual nightmare hellscape and nothing can convince me otherwise. An unnamed boy went on a camping holiday with his family to the county, when disaster struck and that one thing we've all been vaguely terrified of since we were kids happened. A spider crawled into his ear. Apparently they were sleeping outside (some real deal camping) and the little arachnid wandered up to and inside of the unsuspecting boy's ear canal. It's thought that he felt something funny in there straight away and got his mum to have a look, and she fished around with a cotton bud which only pushed the critter further inside his canal - bleurgh.
They couldn't see it any longer but boy did they know he was up there, so the boy's parents took him to see Nick Chitty, a Devon-based ear specialist with a YouTube channel. That's right folks, we got seriously lucky because Chitty posts some of the greatest gross-out videos on YouTube where he fishes all kinds of strange things out of people's aural cavities, naturally in HD. In Nick's video, you can see the spiders fuzzy legs tangles up in ear wax inside the canal where he had died, and apparently the teen was watching along with the Doctor because he thoughtfully keeps a 50 inch flat screen TV in the office so the patients can watch their own procedures. How thoughtful. In the video, Nick narrates: "Things were going quite well. In my clinic my patients get to see this shot on a 50 inch flat screen TV. He wasn’t too concerned until his younger brother suggested that this was really cool and “what if the spider had laid eggs in his ear?” And then my patient became a little bit agitated." A bit agitated... I'm not surprised.
Apparently it's very unlikely that the spider could have left anything behind, the mounds of ear wax that are hidden that deep inside us mean that it wouldn't have lasted long up there but Nick used a method called 'micro suction' anyway, where a small suction device pulled out the spider, all of the earwax and anything else that might have got stuck up there. Nick's well aware of what a haunting video this one in particular is, posting it to his channel of 22,000 subscribers, saying:
"This has to be most people’s worst nightmare but it is very rare. The teenager came in with his family – he felt there was something in his ear. The spider was dead, and I suspect this had happened when his mum had a look around with a cotton bud. She might have accidentally killed the spider and pushed it further down the ear canal. This is pretty uncommon. The procedure was a success – the spider eventually came out of the boy’s ear. As you go in the ear canal, most people‘s canal will go up 30 degrees and then there is hair to stop dust from getting in. After that there is the wax gland – this is sticky to stop anything from going in your ear. Nice bit of micro suction and it’s all gone, literally, 30 seconds."