Did you know that almost all mammals have a bone in their penis, except for humans? We call them boners, but the truth is our penises are bone free. You think that’d mean you don’t have to worry about breaking them like bones but… that’s not true. Just ask Ross Asdourian who had an unfortunate experience during sex.
“We were having sex in what doctors call "doggy style" position and I came out and then went back in, and we both did that in equal but opposite force, and it caused a very audible "pop",” he said in a recent radio interview while promoting his new book about his boner-breaking experience called “Broken Bananah”.
“I didn't really scream because if you've ever been in that real pain you don't really make much noise, some sound comes out of you but it's not sustained,” he added
“I went into emergency protocol, I got up, flipped the lights on all while this poor woman is still there on all fours looking confused because she didn't know what was happening.
“I think that all men in the depths of their brain know that this is possible.
“And I will go a step further and say that most men have probably had scares where maybe it bent a little bit, myself included.”
After a quick trip to the hospital Ross discovered he had experienced what doctors call a corpus cavernosa rupture, and he needed two surgeries and months of rehabilitation to repair the damage. This included months of catheter use and even having to ask his mum and friends for help urinating. Now however he claims he has regained 80-90% of his genital functioning (we have to ask… what’s the other 10%?).
The specific injury Ross experienced can be pretty horrific, and it occurs because the penis is a fleshy sponge made erect through by pumping it full of blood. Tension and pressure causes the sponge to become hard but this same material can also become brittle under the same conditions. If enough pressure is placed on the wrong place the sponge can tear and, in essence, you can break a penis in a way not dissimilar to how you can break a bone. And yes, that includes shredding your urethra.
“You can imagine a balloon that gets filled up with water, and then you have this tense sheath that's surrounding the balloon, and that's what gives you the stiffness with an erection,” said Dr Rajveer Purohit, head of urology at a New York hospital.
That sounds unbelievably painful…