A 37-day-old baby has almost died after he was fed three screws by his 3-year-old brother. The pair were left alone when their mother went to the shop and left the toddler to care for the newborn.
Unfortunately, while she was away, the young boy found three screws and managed to get the young baby to eat them. When the mother returned she found the baby foaming at the mouth and rushed him suddenly to the hospital.
However, doctors were afraid of moving ahead with any kind of procedure, saying that any kind of surgery risked the boy’s life.
Baby fighting for his life after brother feeds him screws https://t.co/uoGRFy86vt— The Sun (@TheSun) June 8, 2018
Thankfully they were able to get the woman transport to Zhengzhou Children’s Hospital in Central China’s Henan Province, where a team of experts were waiting and ready to help.
There, head of gastroenterology Dr Li Xiaoqin performed an x-ray and found three screws sitting in the boy’s stomach.
Using a mixture of magnets and a gastroscope they were eventually able to remove the screws.
Dr Lin spoke to the press and spoke of how difficult the procedure was, saying:
“Even newborns can have endoscopies, but we wouldn’t have been able to retrieve the screws using the thinnest instrument.
Wow! Kids!https://t.co/ZdRLCe3L8Y— C. S. Chiwanza (@CSChiwanza) June 8, 2018
“We had to use the 7.5-millimetre (0.3-inch) gastroscope, which we feared would be too thick for the baby.
“It was of course a risk, but we decided it was better than surgery.”
He also, quite wisely, said,
“Children can easily make wrong decision without knowing the risks,” before recommending that she not leave a 3-year-old to look after a newborn baby. Thankfully all turned out (reasonably) well and the screws did no damage to the boy’s stomach or digestive tract. The baby is currently recovering from the operation.
We have to admit that we agree with the doctor. While it’s easy for new parents to be overwhelmed by babies it’s hard to imagine that anyone could make the mistake of thinking that a three-year-old toddler could possibly babysit a newborn baby that was just 37-days-old. We do, however, doubt that it’s a mistake she’ll be repeating in the future.