A 35-year-old Indian woman has died alongside her 3-year-old daughter after she was unknowingly bitten by a snake during her sleep. That morning she woke up and breastfed her daughter but fell ill later that day. She also breastfed her daughter, which led to her child becoming ill alongside her.
When both her and her daughter were taken to hospital hours later it was too late, and the pair died as a result of snake’s venom before they even reached the hospital in the Uttar Pradesh state.
Family members say they believe the snake had bitten the woman while she slept, and they say when they entered her bedroom they found the snake although it fled before they could catch it. It is believed the toddler died as a result of the snake venom being absorbed by the mother into her bloodstream and then passed on via the breast milk.
Indian girl, 3, dies after drinking poisoned breast milk after her mother was unknowingly bitten by a snake in her sleep https://t.co/S4KIRCFXiu— Daily Mail Online (@MailOnline) May 25, 2018
Police inspectors have announced that a post-mortem will be carried out on both the toddler and her mother, but until then they are considering it a case of accidental death and nothing more. The police gave a statement reading:
“They were reported to have been poisoned by snake venom after the mother was bitten by the snake and later fed her baby with her breast milk. According to the report we got at the station, they both died on their way to hospital after they fell sick.”
India is home to hundreds of poisonous snakes, some of which rank as amongst the deadliest in the world. It is estimated that out of the roughly 100,000 snake deaths that occur globally each year, around 46,000 of them happen in India.
While the exact method of death varies, many snakes’ venom works by either affecting the nervous system or by affecting the nature of the person’s blood. In the video below you can see that a single drop of snake venom turns a glass full of blood into a giant clot, similar in texture to a sponge.
When inside you, the venom achieves the same effect, and essentially causes your blood to solidify in your veins. Snakes remain one of the most venomous creatures on Earth, and they cause hundreds of thousands of death each year.